Lakers' Luka Doncic makes eight-word admission that will make Mavericks fans shed a tear
Lakers' Luka Doncic makes eight-word admission that will make Mavericks fans shed a tear originally appeared on The Sporting News. Add The Sporting News as a Preferred Source by clicking here.
It’s safe to say Los Angeles Lakers star Luka Doncic has adjusted well to life out west.
After the Dallas Mavericks shockingly traded the six-time All-Star to the Lakers last February, it was unclear how he would operate in a different system/environment. Fast forward to the midway point of the 2025-26 season, and it’s clear that Doncic has quickly found his footing in Los Angeles.
The 6-foot-8 MVP candidate is averaging 32.8 points, 8.6 assists, and 7.8 rebounds per game with the Lakers during his first full campaign with the organization, shooting 47.3% from the field and 34.5% from beyond the arc.
During All-Star weekend, Doncic made an eight-word admission that will make Mavericks fans shed a tear.
“I think there is abetter organization here (Lakers),” Doncic said Sunday.
It’ll be difficult for Mavericks fans to keep their emotions in check after Doncic’s straightforward statement. Dallas had something special brewing following a 2024 NBA Finals appearance, and threw it all away to acquire a 6-foot-10 forward who’s no longer on their roster (Anthony Davis). Simply put, Doncic’s diss toward the Mavericks was well-deserved.
While the Lakers aren’t perfect, they’re a far more competent franchise than the Mavericks. From having a productive 2025 offseason centered on catering to Doncic’s needs (signing Marcus Smart and Deandre Ayton) to ensuring that Doncic is aware he's the future of their franchise, Los Angeles has started the Doncic era on a positive note.
Moving forward, the Lakers’ plan should be to continue to capitalize on the Mavericks’ massive mistake and build a team capable of winning multiple championships.
More NBA: Warriors sign 6-foot-5 former Lakers guard to assist Stephen Curry
Mike Mancini injury update for Vanderbilt baseball after Eastern Michigan win
Vanderbilt baseball was without Mike Mancini in its first four games due to a quadriceps injury, coach Tim Corbin said after a 13-2 win over Eastern Michigan on Feb. 17.
The injury isn't likely to keep Mancini out much longer.
"He's close," Corbin said. "Kind of disrupted his quad right before we left for Texas. So he wants to play. We're just doing our best to hold him back because he wants to go right now, but it's a long season."
Mancini did not play during the Shriner's Children's College Showdown tournament in Texas last week, though he was on deck to pinch-hit in the ninth inning of the first game.
In 2025, his first season after transferring from James Madison, Mancini hit .269 with four home runs in a season that started late due to a fractured hamate bone.
Mancini could fit in second base or left field when he returns. So far, Carter Johnstone has been playing second base and Rustan Rigdon playing left field.
Aria Gerson covers Vanderbilt athletics for The Tennessean. Contact her at [email protected] or on X, formerly Twitter, @aria_gerson.
This article originally appeared on Nashville Tennessean: Mike Mancini injury update for Vanderbilt baseball
United Strand's 500 Days With No Haircut: Man United's Draw Keeps Streak Going
Manchester United fan and social media influencer Frank Ilett, better known as The United Strand, has hit the milestone of 500 days without cutting his hair until his beloved Red Devils win five games in a row. Ilett came close to shaving off his curls last week, before United drew with West Ham, halting their run at four wins in a row, agonizingly short of his target. The United Strand's rise to fame Back in October 2024, The United Strand channel was born, with Ilett sitting down in front of a camera and claiming that he would not be cutting his hair until United won five consecutive games. Since then, the Red Devils have been through three different managers, a series of highs and lows, but have never been able to get the job done. Tomas Soucek's goal was the difference between him being able to finally shed the hair, but instead, he must now continue growing it. The United Strand's campaign did not gain much traction at first, but as the months crept by, and his hair became longer and more noticeable, football fans have taken a keen interest in his journey. Across all platforms, Ilett has accrued thousands of followers and built a brand for himself. He has starred in mainstream adverts and worked with major companies as his cause spread across the globe. Plans to celebrate latest milestone A week after that agonising draw with West Ham, Ilett has announced on social media that he will be commemorating the 500-day mark by giving away a signed United shirt. In a post, he said: "Not only is it day 500, but it's Chinese New Year, the year of the horse, and pancake day," Ilett said on Instagram as he pulled both a toy horse and a pancake from his hair. "To mark the day I'll be doing a giveaway of a signed shirt on my Instagram page later today, so keep an eye out." United Strand divides the dressing room Both head coach Michael Carrick and the likes of Matheus Cunha have publicly acknowledged Ilett's challenge, which is being done for charity. However, the response from inside the dressing has been one of frustration, with players claiming that it is taking the focus away from their efforts and putting more pressure on them. Club legend Wayne Rooney slammed The United Strand during a recent podcast, admitting the entire saga was driving him mad. Speaking on the 'No Tippy Tappy Football' podcast, he said: "I'd put him to the other side of the country. He's doing my head in. "We're talking about Michael Carrick and Man United trying to win their fifth game in a row, and the whole thing is about to get this guy his hair cut. I bet he'd be devastated if Man Utd win the fifth game, because all of a sudden he's irrelevant." Cunha followed a similar path, adding: "People are more worried about getting five wins because of the haircut than about the 15 points. "So, I'm more for the 15 points, I don't care about his haircut at all. We talk about it sometimes, but it's not very motivating for us. We don't see it as cool. No-one wants those five wins more than we do, or more wins, whatever. But I think having this pressure from his haircut hides a bit of the beauty that could be in the season, you know?" March the next opportunity for a trip to the barbers With the win counter now reset to zero, Ilett will not be able to visit his barber until at least March 20. However, for that to happen, United must beat Everton, Crystal Palace, Newcastle, Aston Villa and Bournemouth. It is not an impossible task, considering the previous run included wins over Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham. First up for Carrick's men is a trip to the Hill Dickinson Stadium on Monday night, a tough test for the club, despite having had nearly two weeks off, after they were knocked out of the FA Cup in the third round by Brighton.