Article

Hartel, Biel score as St. Louis, Charlotte draw 1-1 in opener — and more

Hartel, Biel score as St. Louis, Charlotte draw 1-1 in opener

ST. LOUIS (AP) — Marcel Hartel scored in the 60th minute and Pep Biel equalized in the 73rd as St. Louis City SC and Charlotte FC opened the MLS season with a 1-1 draw on Saturday.

St. Louis controlled much of the match, finishing with a 22-9 advantage in shots and an 11-3 edge in shots on goal. Charlotte goalkeeper Kristijan Kahlina made 10 saves.

The teams played to a scoreless first half, with Charlotte generating limited attacking pressure while St. Louis created the better chances. CITY SC made its first substitution of the season early in the second half, bringing on Brendan McSorley.

St. Louis broke through in the 60th minute when Hartel finished from the left side of the box after a well-timed pass from Simon Becher opened space in front of the goal.

Charlotte answered 13 minutes later as Wilfried Zaha delivered a through ball that found Biel making a run into the box, and the midfielder finished to level the match.

St. Louis pushed for a winner late, generating several chances in stoppage time, but Kahlina preserved the draw with multiple close-range saves.

CITY SC finished with a 1.9-0.6 advantage in expected goals and a 6-1 edge in corner kicks, but settled for a point. St. Louis remains unbeaten in its four MLS season-opening matches.

___

AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer

NCAA Tournament 2026 national championship odds after early bracket reveal: Michigan sits as frontrunner

Oddsmakers provide an updated look at college basketball's perceived frontrunners

Cowboys Named Best Landing Spot for All-Pro Linebacker

The team's front office is actively exploring options to bolster their defensive unit, and this specific player is a primary target.

With the season approaching, securing a veteran presence is crucial for the Cowboys' championship aspirations.

Yankees’ Gerrit Cole has no interest in accelerating rehab after hard-throwing live BP session; Aaron Judge homers twice

TAMPA, Fla. — Shortly after Gerrit Cole faced hitters for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery last spring, Aaron Judge said that “you would have never known” the Cy Young winner was coming off a procedure that robbed him of the entire 2025 season.

“It looked like the old 45 that I’ve seen for years,” Judge said Friday after grounding out against Cole, who faced three batters, threw about 20 pitches, sat around 95-96 mph with his fastball and topped out at 96.9 mph.

Told of Judge’s assessment on Saturday morning, Cole said it was “a great compliment” to hear.

“I wasn’t in a rehab mindset yesterday,” he continued. “I was just in that performance mindset. So it didn’t feel like anything other than how it used to feel going out there and competing.”

Cole said that he had “fun” facing hitters again, and that he found the outing to be “rewarding and refreshing.” More importantly, he felt good during the session and again on Saturday morning.

He added that he was “a little surprised,” that he threw as hard as he did, though he noted that he’s pretty built up.

But with all going well for the right-hander thus far, Cole put to rest any speculation that he may try to expedite his rehab plans.

“It’s great to feel great,” he said, “but I don’t think it makes me want to accelerate.”

Cole, 35, previously reiterated that full Tommy John reconstruction comes with a 14-18-month timetable. That means he could return sometime in May — that would be on the earlier side — or June if all continues to go well.

Cole and the Yankees have left the door open for the pitcher to throw in spring training games before camp ends, but they haven’t settled on how many more live batting practice sessions he’ll have to participate in before graduating to that step.

Judge joined by another Big Bomber

With Cole serving as a challenging tune-up a day before his Grapefruit League debut, Judge didn’t have to wait long for his first homers of the spring.

The Yankees’ captain went deep twice in Steinbrenner Field’s exhibition opener on Saturday afternoon, first taking Detroit’s Burch Smith 420 feet off the batter’s eye in the Bombers’ 20-3 win. The two-run blast traveled at 104.5 mph.

An inning later, Judge clubbed another two-run dinger off Ricky Vanasco. The shot to left sailed 395 feet at 106.1 mph.

“It’s spring training,” Judge said when jokingly asked if he’s ready for Opening Day. “We still got a lot of work to do. You like seeing results in spring, obviously, but I’m just happy to get three at-bats and feel good in the field.”

Judge went on to note that getting lots of early at-bats in spring training worked out for him last year. The back-to-back MVP, captaining Team USA in the World Baseball Classic, also added, “You don’t want to get exposed playing for your country, so you gotta be ready to go.”

Judge wasn’t the only giant slugger to homer Saturday, as outfield prospect Spencer Jones cleared the ballpark with a solo shot in the second inning.

Statcast measured the bomb off Keider Montero, a big leaguer the last two seasons, at 111.7 mph and 408 feet.

“I’m feeling good,” Jones said. “I’m just trying to get some good feels with the hands, get those going and use that as a trigger.”

Lagrange’s spring debut

Another towering presence, Carlos Lagrange, started Saturday’s game. The results were mixed, as the pitching prospect totaled 2.2 innings, three hits, two runs (one earned), two walks, two strikeouts, one homer and 53 pitches.

However, Lagrange’s four-seam fastball topped out at 102.4 mph and hit at least 100 mph seven times. It also had an induced vertical break of 18 inches.

While his change-up coasted above 90 mph and his sweeper impressed, Lagrange didn’t hesitate when asked what his best pitch is.

“My fastball,” he said with a laugh. “It’s hard and big and vertical.”

Judge, meanwhile, praised the 22-year-old for the second time this spring, declaring, “Carlos’ potential is to be a frontline starter for the New York Yankees.”

Police appeal for information after burnt-out car found in kidnapping probe

Police are probing a 2022 model Toyota Corolla, bearing a Victorian number plate, reported stolen from a Victorian address in January. 

In brief

Judge’s two home runs kick off big spring win An offensive explosion got the Yankees their first spring win

Javonte Williams agrees to three-year deal with Cowboys Scratch running back Javonte Williams from the list of 2026 free agents.

The Atlantic 10 issues reprimands, fines following scuffle between No. 18 Saint Louis and VCU - Toronto Star The Atlantic 10 issues reprimands, fines following scuffle between No. 18 Saint Louis and VCU Toronto Star

Barrios vs. Garcia Highlights, Streaming Updates TONIGHT! After nearly a year removed from his last fight, Ryan Garcia will return to the boxing ring later TONIGHT (Sat., Feb. 21, 2026) to challenge current WBC Welterweight champion, Mario Barrios, inside T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on DAZN PPV. Barrios (29-2-2) is coming of back-to-back draws against Abel

Duke vs. Michigan live score, updates, highlights from 2026 college basketball game The Sporting News brings you live updates from the heavyweight clash between two national championship contenders in Duke and Michigan.

Nanaimo celebrates Sport Achievement Awards and Hall of Fame inductions - NanaimoNewsNOW Nanaimo celebrates Sport Achievement Awards and Hall of Fame inductions NanaimoNewsNOW